As the buzzwords like IOT, IOE, M2M are catching up, one wonders (well, at least I did) what this is all about. Why so much fuss and why it does say it will have a big business impact as well as overall impact on betterment of life.
IOT: Internet of Things – a system where we can connect living, non-living things and computers with each other through internet. And this system is even capable of analying data for us or even to make decisions on our behalf if we prefer so.
IOE: Internet of everything – Another buzzword for IOT
M2M: Machine to Machine – This can be called as a smaller subset of IOT, where we’re talking about a system which makes machines to talk to each other, share and analyze information.
In quest to find, I did some online finding. But the problem is, there are so many brilliant articals, videos etc; that digesting all the infomation to make a mental picture itself takes a lot of time.
Hence this artical, which though leads links to various youtube videos in a sequence; I believe can help one make a quick mental picture on how IOT can impact day-2-day life.
The concept of IOT is to make everything (including living as well as non-living things) share information with each other; which then can be analyzed to find trends/inferences for enabling smart decisions. We humans do that everyday, don’t we? But how’bt even things connected to us, our environment itself talks to you and help you make decisions? For e.g. how many times you found yourself at loss on what to do when you already are far away from home and not sure if you locked doors properly. OR you’re at office but worrying if your kids came home safely? I believe the below video journey will help you visualize solution for your problem.
- A short and sweet video which just explains IOT in nutshell and as an example shows an intelligent traffic system:
- A wishful smart city video
- A day at smart home – average video though explains how a smart home can be
- A nice video showing a busy workday for a couple and how internet of things makes life more organized, smarter and smoother
- An internet of things home hub transformed as a smart robot (Buddy); which enhances usability of the thing’s smartness a notch further.
- A very nice video showing how inernet of things helps us handle life and death type situation
- Ambulance drone – This video shows how medical help can be remotely provided in an emergency situation using drones and IOT.
- Hamburg – smart city
- Dubai – Government’s ideas to maket it smartest
- Ted Talk – Benson Hougland explains in nutshell what is internet of things and why should we care about this technology.